St. Augustine, Florida

St. Augustine, Florida
May 24, 2013

Luee

Luee
We adopted Luee from the Humane Society in 1996. He was 2 years old, but still a pup. He has slowed down a bit; his age is catching up to him. He is the best dog anyone could ever have. Luee had to be put to sleep on April 15, 2009. Rest in Peace Pup.

Christmas Eve 2012

Christmas Eve 2012

NINA HULA 7/28/2012

NINA HULA 7/28/2012

Jeff, Sam, Nina and Ian

Jeff, Sam, Nina and Ian
Ian's Graduation from Kindergarten

Luck Be A Lady

Luck Be A Lady

Little GQ 12/12

Little GQ 12/12

Christmas 2012

Christmas 2012

Joey and Elizabeth

Joey and Elizabeth

Nina June 2013

Nina June 2013

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME

Batter Up Speakies:

I never wrote much about baseball, I guess it’s because the Phillies are playing against the Yankees in the World Series starting tonight. I’m sure we all have memories about playing baseball, going to games or drifting off in that hammock dreaming of smacking that game winning homerun or pitching that no hitter. I have some fond memories of baseball myself. When I was a young JoeyZ we played sponge ball in the parking lot of a Food Fair after it closed for the day, too many houses around for hard ball. We bought the white sponge type balls at the local 5 & 10 cent store for 25 cents each and by the end of the game it no white cover left. We played everyday except for Saturday and Sunday. As the guys in the neighborhood got older we hiked down the road to a grass field and the hard balls came out for the real thing. When I belonged to the Boys Club we played Wiffle Ball and had set teams, one summer I had the homerun record. We even played handball, throw the ball in the air and bat it with your fist.

In the summer evenings I remember watching the Yankees play on Channel 11 from NYC. Red Barber, Mel Allen calling the play by play and all those Piels Brothers beer commercials in between. Watching the likes of Mickey, Roger, Yogi and the rest of the Yankees win and win. Most of all I remember my Dad and his friend along with his son going to those Saturday or Sunday games in Philadelphia. Driving down Roosevelt Blvd, heading to North Philly and walking to Connie Mack Stadium. To me it looked like the Roman Coliseum extending almost an entire city block. I saw the likes of Robin Roberts, Richie Ashburn, Curt Farrell and one of my favorites Chico Fernandez. I can still smell the grass and taste the steamed hotdogs. I remember the night we had tickets for a double header. It was the last 2 games of the season and Richie Ashburn beat out Roberto Clemente for the NL batting championship.

I remember seeing the joy in my son’s eyes as Roe and I took them to Veteran’s Stadium many a times for a baseball game. The proud and fond memories of seeing them play little league ball. Baseball makes some dreams come true, but for most of us it brings us great memories of times we really enjoyed. Send me your feelings or just sit back and recall your memories and share them with someone close.

2 comments:

Mack said...

Amen Joe.
Baseball is part of the great
American Life and Jersey tends
to be baseball crazy with all the
Major and Minor League and Youth
Leagues and Softball Leagues around here:)

JoeZ said...

Some of the major league teams are moving from Florida out to Arizona for training. We had a minor league team here in Kissimmee but it packed up 5 years ago. My son saw the Phillies and Braves this year at Disney.