St. Augustine, Florida

St. Augustine, Florida
May 24, 2013

Luee

Luee
We adopted Luee from the Humane Society in 1996. He was 2 years old, but still a pup. He has slowed down a bit; his age is catching up to him. He is the best dog anyone could ever have. Luee had to be put to sleep on April 15, 2009. Rest in Peace Pup.

Christmas Eve 2012

Christmas Eve 2012

NINA HULA 7/28/2012

NINA HULA 7/28/2012

Jeff, Sam, Nina and Ian

Jeff, Sam, Nina and Ian
Ian's Graduation from Kindergarten

Luck Be A Lady

Luck Be A Lady

Little GQ 12/12

Little GQ 12/12

Christmas 2012

Christmas 2012

Joey and Elizabeth

Joey and Elizabeth

Nina June 2013

Nina June 2013

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

TALKING POLISH AGAIN, NIX THE PUPPETS

Happy Tuesday Guys and Dolls:

Let me start off today on a sarcastic note just because it’s “PUPPET DAY.” I hated puppets as a kid and I still do. I’d like to have a long pair of scissors and snip those strings as they are bouncing around in front of that curtain yelling with those high pitched voices. There I said it I hate puppets now give me a good ventriloquist act and I’m ready to go.




Now here is a holiday I can really relate to “PIGS IN A BLANKET DAY” or golabki as us Polish people like to call them. In the US the term “pigs in a blanket” refers to hot dogs or those Vienna sausages wrapped in biscuit dough or other dough and baked. There are a number of variations on pigs in a blanket from around the world but to me the one and only is the Polish golabki. My two grandmothers made complete opposite kinds of golabki, both I imagine used the same meat a combination of beef and pork. Granny O’s cabbage was a softer texture and covered with tomato sauce as a topping. Granny Z’s cabbage was firmer and no sauce on top more of a drier golabki but as good. Now my mother of course followed Granny O’s recipe and I have to admit made a good pig in the blanket. Our son Jeff tried making them a couple years ago as he dabbles in cooking and to our surprise created a great golabki dish. I’ve been told the secret is in the type of cabbage to use by my sweet Polish friend I work with. Roe and I located a Polish restaurant here in Florida and had lunch one day but were disappointed in the food very bland and lacked the right zip as I call it. Our search will continue as it is still going for the closest thing to a Trenton Tomato Pie.

I’m getting hungry now and it’s not even close to lunch think I’ll snack on some pretzels till then. Have a great day Guys and Dolls and as always be careful out there.

1 comment:

Mack said...

Hi Joe:)

We also ate pigs in a blanket. yumm:)