St. Augustine, Florida

St. Augustine, Florida
May 24, 2013

Luee

Luee
We adopted Luee from the Humane Society in 1996. He was 2 years old, but still a pup. He has slowed down a bit; his age is catching up to him. He is the best dog anyone could ever have. Luee had to be put to sleep on April 15, 2009. Rest in Peace Pup.

Christmas Eve 2012

Christmas Eve 2012

NINA HULA 7/28/2012

NINA HULA 7/28/2012

Jeff, Sam, Nina and Ian

Jeff, Sam, Nina and Ian
Ian's Graduation from Kindergarten

Luck Be A Lady

Luck Be A Lady

Little GQ 12/12

Little GQ 12/12

Christmas 2012

Christmas 2012

Joey and Elizabeth

Joey and Elizabeth

Nina June 2013

Nina June 2013

Thursday, July 28, 2011

BURGER HERE, GRAB YOUR BURGER HERE



Happy Thursday Guys and Dolls:

First of all I would like to wish all my Guys and Dolls celebrating their birthdays or anniversaries today a very happy one. We are talking burgers today for it is "NATIONAL HAMBURGER DAY." The term hamburger originally derives from Hamburg, Germany. Burg means fortified settlement or refuge. Hamburger can also refer to someone or something from Hamburg. So there you have a little word association regarding hamburger. Now it’s time to talk hamburger, cheeseburger, patty melt anything that looks and tastes like a burger. My first association with burgers would have to been at a cookout and I’m sure that applies to everyone out there. Nothing like a burger from a grill, a toasted bun, a slab of raw onion and a slice of a good old Jersey beef steak tomato, man that is my idea of eating.

We all remember those quick fast food burger joints but I remember one before I even had a McDonald’s. There was this place on Princeton Ave. near Circle Bowling Alley called Pix. Twenty-five cent cheeseburgers, fifteen cent burgers and dime fries. I grabbed a bite there many times walking home from high school, ah the good old days. I’m sure everyone has their favorite burger joints, back home mine were Rossi’s Bar and Grill and Ernie’s Tavern. Burgers and beer can’t touch it. Down here in Central Florida you have mostly chain restaurants, like Friday’s, Applebee’s etc. who all offer the same cuisine and burger variety. Roe and I like Five Guys, good cheeseburgers and plenty of fries. In St. Cloud, Florida there is this local diner called Rodeo Diner they make a great patty melt, good fresh tasting fries and onion rings to die for. Roe and I see to have a shrinking appetite so we share the burger and fries and fight for the onion rings. Let me know of your favorite burger haunts and what you like on yours. Every time I put on the tube I always check for the shows featuring burgers, dogs or pizza my basic food group. Enjoy a burger today.

I have to say Happy Birthday to the “WIFFLE BAT”, born in 1957. Mack from Mack’s Truck of Wisdom and I played many a game of wiffle ball back in our days not together but we had love for plastic bat. Wiffle ball will live forever in my heart and memory. I want to say thanks to Mack for allowing me to use a picture of a Rossi Burger for my post today. Everybody grab a burger and bat and have fun. See you all soon.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe, you and I would have withered away and been nothing but skin and bone without that "Bag O' Five" burgers for a thin $1 bill at Pix.

Then there was the Steer Inn out by the Fairgrounds on Nottingham Way and that was special because we didn't have a car.

If memory serves, those places were there long before McDonald's.

I love to tell this when folks say it was just your imagination or the memory and illusion of a child.

No, back then things were different. People could be trusted.

How many cars would be left on a lot today if the dealers left the keys in the ignition? Well, back in the golden era of about 1960, McCafferty Ford and a few other dealers on Broad Street would leave the keys in.

To get us out of that small Cape Cod on Dewey Avenue, my Aunt would give us each 50 cents and send us off to McDonalds. Back then there were no chairs or such and with no car in the dead of winter, you selected a car on the Ford lot and let it warm up while you walked down the street to get that bag goodies. I believe that that half dollar would get you two burgers, a small milkshake and a small fry.

Today, they aren't even allowed to call it a milk shake since there is no milk in it.

Well back to the Ford lot with our bag of heaven and Cousin Bruce Morrow playing and a special call out to all of his "Cousins", out there in the Whippany, Parsippany and Troy Hills (wherever the heck that was). Or Jerry Blavat, The Geator with the heater, The Boss with the hot sauce dedicating a song to his "Yon Teenagers".

Things were different indeed.

Skip

Anonymous said...

Joe, right about this time on a Sunday night, you would be pulling into Stewarts, perhaps out on Brunswick or Scotch Road or the one out on Route 33.

Roe would be snuggled next to you and the tray would come clipped on the half rolled down window.

A couple of burgers and an order of fries and onion rings to split all of that along with a couple of Root Beer Floats.

She was the Queen and the earth revolved around her.

I was in the next car over of course (wink).

Skip

JoeZ said...

Skip you are the man with the words, I forgot about the Steer Inn. One of my other favorite places for a cheese steak basket and fries besides Stewarts was this place on Hamilton Ave.now I can't remember the name log cabin looking fire place inside damn the name will come. Thanks for your comments as always.

Anonymous said...

I know the place you are thinking of right down from the Eet Gud?

The Ranch House?

Skip

JoeZ said...

It just came to me Skip Del Rio's.

Mack said...

Hi Joe:)
Use any of my pics anytime for any reason:)
My 3 fave BURG Burgers from..
1 ZIPS STEAKHOUSE
2 THE SOHO
3 ROSSI'S

I cannot put into words just how much I miss Zips and the Soho. When I hit the lottery and buy the Burg they are among the first places I put back:)

Mack said...

Hi JoeZ:)
Use any pics for any reason anytime:)

My 3 Best BURG Burgers

1 ZIPS STEAKHOUSE

2 THE SOHO

3 ROSSI'S

I cannot put into words just how much I miss Zips and The Soho:)

JoeZ said...

Thanks Mack, if you are ever in the Robbinsville area give Ernie's Tavern a try, they were really good.