St. Augustine, Florida

St. Augustine, Florida
May 24, 2013

Luee

Luee
We adopted Luee from the Humane Society in 1996. He was 2 years old, but still a pup. He has slowed down a bit; his age is catching up to him. He is the best dog anyone could ever have. Luee had to be put to sleep on April 15, 2009. Rest in Peace Pup.

Christmas Eve 2012

Christmas Eve 2012

NINA HULA 7/28/2012

NINA HULA 7/28/2012

Jeff, Sam, Nina and Ian

Jeff, Sam, Nina and Ian
Ian's Graduation from Kindergarten

Luck Be A Lady

Luck Be A Lady

Little GQ 12/12

Little GQ 12/12

Christmas 2012

Christmas 2012

Joey and Elizabeth

Joey and Elizabeth

Nina June 2013

Nina June 2013

Monday, June 7, 2010

THOSE WERE THE GOOD OLD DAYS


Good Monday Morning Guys and Dolls:

Hoping you all had a nice and relaxing weekend and are feeling bright-eyed and bushy tailed to start the new week off “NOT.” Well let’s try anyway to make the most of this day so smile it will make you feel better.

Last week I mentioned a holiday Yo-Yo Day and my Blog Buddy Mack made a comment how his Dad picked up a gift yo-yo one Christmas. He started playing with it and sure and behold the old tricks came back to mind and he amazed everyone on his prowess of the days of old. So I’m thinking not smelling any smoke burning yet what simple toys or games I played when I was young. Now here I go writing them down, so don’t laugh, kids then had to use imagination, especially me I was an only child. Let me see what I remember deep inside my memory.

Yo-Yo’s of course, I could only go 3 times up and down and could never do the other tricks.

Thumb Tack Races – Get a few of those metal tacks and a couple of buddies, put that tack between your thumb and middle finger, give it a twist and let her ride and see who’s tack spins the longest. The kitchen table was the field of battle.

We flipped baseball cards to match and win or fling them to see whose came closer to the wall. I lost many a good card and probably a few Mickey Mantle’s in my day.

Match football, I’m sure everyone knew how to play this game, I remember my cousin Tommy and I would play that on a cold night at my grandmother’s smoking a few cigs and drinking coffee. (We were teenagers then and smoking was fashionable).

My parent’s house had a shed, actually it was a room where Mom had her stove and kept all her appliances and canned goods. It had a door that separated it from the kitchen. At night instead of watching TV, I remember playing sock basketball. I’d put up a box with no bottom securing it with tape to the wall rolled up a pair of socks tied with a good heavy rubber band and the teams played. One shot for your team and one for the opponent. First team to reach 60 was the winner. My Day got tired of hearing the sock hit the wall so he bought me a rim and net and screwed it into the wooden stair case in the cellar. I had just enough clearance to make baskets from all angles, man I felt like a pro.


In the summer I would pitch against the brick wall in our backyard pretending to play a regular baseball game. If the ball got by me it was a hit and with more hits came the runs and the game. Now we had a few guys in the neighborhood and we would get together after dinner and when the local Food Fair store closed use their parking lot to play baseball. Now with all the houses around we had to use a rubber sponge ball. A homer was across the street.

Well there are some of the nostalgic games or toys I played with, send me yours. Don’t be shy you readers can make comments and they would be appreciated. Have a great day.

4 comments:

Mack said...

Hi Joe:)
Also Table-Top football on our
desks in school I remember well.

JoeZ said...

Mack, we played it on the kitchen table, it's a fun game. In the summer we use to sit on the front porch and play Catch -5.

Rosemary said...

gee, after 32 years I have to read your blog to lean more about you...lol..

Jacks was the game for me and my friends. Again, something you can play by yourself or with a few friends.

We would play in the street until it got dark. Games like 123 Redlight and Empire State Building Calling Number (fill in the number)

Funny how none of the neighbors complained when you made noise in the street or (even though everyone had a driveway) hid behind those cars park on the street.

JoeZ said...

I guess I'm a man of mystery my Dear One. It's funny how things come to mind. Childhood is suppose to be fun.