St. Augustine, Florida

St. Augustine, Florida
May 24, 2013

Luee

Luee
We adopted Luee from the Humane Society in 1996. He was 2 years old, but still a pup. He has slowed down a bit; his age is catching up to him. He is the best dog anyone could ever have. Luee had to be put to sleep on April 15, 2009. Rest in Peace Pup.

Christmas Eve 2012

Christmas Eve 2012

NINA HULA 7/28/2012

NINA HULA 7/28/2012

Jeff, Sam, Nina and Ian

Jeff, Sam, Nina and Ian
Ian's Graduation from Kindergarten

Luck Be A Lady

Luck Be A Lady

Little GQ 12/12

Little GQ 12/12

Christmas 2012

Christmas 2012

Joey and Elizabeth

Joey and Elizabeth

Nina June 2013

Nina June 2013

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

WELCOME TO MAY GUYS AND DOLLS

WELCOME TO MAY GUYS AND DOLLS:

To me May has always been the official start of spring. Going back to my childhood days the weather was turning warmer, we started playing more baseball at the Food Fair parking lot after supper and school days were coming to a close. My father started his garden for his tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and mom started her Polish style spring cleaning binge. May is a happy month for me 34 years ago Roe and I were married and blessed with two fine sons. You start writing and your mind slips back to the past and you recall things you did years ago. I remember as an altar boy attending May devotions services in our church, my dad and I making plans to see the Phillies play at old Connie Mack Stadium. One of my best memories is going fishing with him many times after supper at the Marine Terminal on the Delaware River. I guess each of the months brings back memories of things special to us all and us wanting to share them with others.

Some other interesting May facts the flower for May is the Lily of the Valley, the birthstone is the Emerald which means love and success and the Zodiac sign is me the Gemini. I can tell you Roe calls me the true Gemini for having dual personalities which I cannot deny.

Some of the observances we honor on this first day of May are:

May Day – I just remember watching the Russians march their armies and weapons on the national news.

Cheerios made the scene as cereal in 1939; they are still one of my favorite cereals to eat.

Hawaiian Lei Day – those beautiful flowers they put around your neck with that great greeting of Aloha when you visit the Hawaiian Islands. There is an old belief when you leave throw the lei in the water if it floats back to the islands you will return one day if not you never will. Aloha Guys and Dolls.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe, you just reminded me of the Russian fishing fleet off the coast of LBI that sparked the "international" zone from 3 to 12 miles back in the 1950's. I almost forgot that each time we took off from Guam in the 1960's there would be a sole Ruskie "fishing trawler" sitting about a half mile off the end of runway at Andersen AFB. Not a "line" in the water but they sure were "fishing" for data. They must have been miserable sitting there watching the "BUFF's" take off right over their heads. The "BUFF" was our pet name for the B-52 aka as the Big Ugly Fat Fudger.

Skip

I too was stationed "down the road" at a Naval Air Station.

Mack said...

Nice post:)))

JoeZ said...

Thanks Skip and Mack as always