St. Augustine, Florida

St. Augustine, Florida
May 24, 2013

Luee

Luee
We adopted Luee from the Humane Society in 1996. He was 2 years old, but still a pup. He has slowed down a bit; his age is catching up to him. He is the best dog anyone could ever have. Luee had to be put to sleep on April 15, 2009. Rest in Peace Pup.

Christmas Eve 2012

Christmas Eve 2012

NINA HULA 7/28/2012

NINA HULA 7/28/2012

Jeff, Sam, Nina and Ian

Jeff, Sam, Nina and Ian
Ian's Graduation from Kindergarten

Luck Be A Lady

Luck Be A Lady

Little GQ 12/12

Little GQ 12/12

Christmas 2012

Christmas 2012

Joey and Elizabeth

Joey and Elizabeth

Nina June 2013

Nina June 2013

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

THOSE LAZY DAYS OF SUMMER MEMORIES


Happy Wednesday Speakies:

It’s that Hump Day I wrote about yesterday and the week is on the down slide. I was thinking about more childhood memories yesterday and trying to remember what sort of things I did on summer vacation as a kid or those special little things you remember about summer. So if you smell smoke it’s just the old noggin of JoeyZ trying to recall old summers past. I’m going to try and remember the younger day’s first just small things maybe not important to some but a happy moment for me. Feel free to add your comments to this post it may bring back the sunshine to you.

Spending time at my Grandparents house being my mother and father both worked. Helping my grandfather in his garden, at his work bench in the cellar and just talking with him and playing with Teddy his dog. Running to the corner store for my grandmother and buying bread, milk and lunchmeat and having Mr. Leslie write down the amount in her grocery book for which she paid him every Friday. On Sundays mom and dad took my grandfather to Seaside Heights, NJ to walk on the boardwalk, he loved sitting on benches and just watching the people walk by. I remember going on all the rides and eating all the good food they had. I loved the shooting games, they had one that you held a gun and shot at a bear and when you hit the sensor light the bear would get up and start to growl and then you really let him have it sending spinning around in circles. Heading to Atlantic City, walking the boardwalk and seeing my aunt Helen. Dad and mom would always take me for a pork roll sandwich at Taylor’s Pork Roll stand. Going to shows at the Steel Pier and seeing the jumping horse.

Playing baseball, we played baseball all summer long whether it was handball or with a bat. Flipping baseball cards for keeps, I hate to think of all the Mickey Mantle cards I may have lost. Playing flashlight tag after dark in the alleys. Cutting down punks and drying them on the tin roofs during the day to dry them out and light them at night while we sat on the porch watching people and cars ride by. I can still smell them burning. Learning to ride a two wheel bike.

Going down to the Delaware River fishing with my dad or to Point Pleasant and fishing in the canals for anything we could catch. Seeing the Phillies play at Old Connie Mack Stadium, what an old magical baseball stadium that was. I saw some of the best play, Robin Roberts, Richie Ashburn, Roberto Clemente, Sparky Anderson and I will never forget Chico Fernandez.

On those hot summer nights heading to Stanley’s Tavern and drinking cokes as mom and dad downed a few beers. Walking to Cassianni’s Tomato Pies on Brunswick Ave with my parents for an occasional Friday night pie. Seeing movies at the old Brunswick Theatre on Saturday afternoons, previews, cartoons, newsreels and a good horror or outer space thriller all for 25 or 50 cents. Dad taking me to his friend Stanley’s house, Stanley did barbering on the side and had his own little shop in the cellar. I would get my summer buzz cut to beat the heat.

Well I probably have loads more but I’ll call it quits for now. Send me your summer memories, be glad to post them for you. Have a great day Guys and Dolls. Now I leave you with a summer song by Nat "King" Cole.

No comments: