St. Augustine, Florida

St. Augustine, Florida
May 24, 2013

Luee

Luee
We adopted Luee from the Humane Society in 1996. He was 2 years old, but still a pup. He has slowed down a bit; his age is catching up to him. He is the best dog anyone could ever have. Luee had to be put to sleep on April 15, 2009. Rest in Peace Pup.

Christmas Eve 2012

Christmas Eve 2012

NINA HULA 7/28/2012

NINA HULA 7/28/2012

Jeff, Sam, Nina and Ian

Jeff, Sam, Nina and Ian
Ian's Graduation from Kindergarten

Luck Be A Lady

Luck Be A Lady

Little GQ 12/12

Little GQ 12/12

Christmas 2012

Christmas 2012

Joey and Elizabeth

Joey and Elizabeth

Nina June 2013

Nina June 2013

Monday, August 24, 2009

REMEMBERING THE OLD JOB, FRIENDS AND CUSTOMERS

Guys and Dolls:

My blog pal Mack and I were corresponding about a gentleman we both knew, Nick Tomasulo, a realtor from my home town. I was sorry to hear he passed on about 9 years ago according to Mack. I sold men’s wear at a specialty shop called Frank’s Big and Tall for a number of years. Mack thought it would be a good idea to remember the customers I had and the people who I worked with. Mack’s Dad was a customer if I could only remember his face I would know him off the bat. Nick was also a customer of mine. I told Mack, when it comes to names, my grey matter does not function in overdrive. I have some stories to write about the place, but I think I can add some pages to my second book with those. As for the people, Al was the owner of the shop along with other stores throughout New Jersey with his brothers Hy and Marty. They were very nice people to work for and they rewarded their employees for the services rendered. Some of the people I worked with were Gary, Steve, Alan, Frank, a wonderful girl named Susan, Tom, Ken, Abe, Lou, Max and how can I forget Boris the Tailor.

The customers were the true characters of the shop and I’ll try to mention a few I remember. There was Sam Blumenthal, who owned Dave’s Bar on Centre St., really comical guy and when I delivered something to him at the bar after work, a drink was always on the house. There was Nunzi, an Italian gentleman who always told me if I didn’t get it right he’d break my legs. I never knew if he was kidding or not. Karl Duven, he worked for PSE&G and tended bar at E.J.’s over the weekend, super guy. Carl Weike, a pleasant gentlemen we became friends and he had dinner and drinks a few times with my girlfriend and me. He passed away while I still worked there. There was Jack the butcher from West Trenton who was a very funny guy and he use to mock me out in Yiddish. I’ll try to remember some more names but there you go Mack for a start.


A picture of the men's shop courtesy of Mack's photo collection. Thanks Mack for the use.

4 comments:

Mack said...

I love this Joe:)
Amazing how peaceful Franks Big
and Tall looks in the picture..
I am remembering Broad Street at
rush hour:)

JoeZ said...

Mack, thanks for your comments on your blog, glad you liked it. Maybe some of my old co-workers will read it.

Sarah Cramer said...

This is weird, I googled my late granfather's name trying to find out some info about him for a family tree and I found your blog! My grandfather was the Karl Duven that you mentioned - he died when I was only 5 and I don't know much about him since the rest of the Duvens have also passed on. Do you remember anything else about him, esp. his service in the military? I know next to nothing! Thanks for your help :)

JoeZ said...

Sarah, what a surprise to receive your e-mail and comment. I met your grandfather when I worked at the men's shop. We hit it off right away, he was a very pleasant and friendly person to wait on. He told me that he worked at E.J.'s Lounge on Saturday and Sunday, so many a weekend would find me there with a girl I was dating then. We'd always bring him a big cup of coffee to drink when we came in. I know he loved the leisure suits back in the 70's and I sold him quite a few. I believe he was in the Navy, but we never discussed his military. I was shocked to hear he died, I was checking sites for some people I knew in Trenton and came upon his name as deceased. I wish you all the luck in your research. Feel free to e-mail me with your findings or if I can be of further help. Joe.