St. Augustine, Florida

St. Augustine, Florida
May 24, 2013

Luee

Luee
We adopted Luee from the Humane Society in 1996. He was 2 years old, but still a pup. He has slowed down a bit; his age is catching up to him. He is the best dog anyone could ever have. Luee had to be put to sleep on April 15, 2009. Rest in Peace Pup.

Christmas Eve 2012

Christmas Eve 2012

NINA HULA 7/28/2012

NINA HULA 7/28/2012

Jeff, Sam, Nina and Ian

Jeff, Sam, Nina and Ian
Ian's Graduation from Kindergarten

Luck Be A Lady

Luck Be A Lady

Little GQ 12/12

Little GQ 12/12

Christmas 2012

Christmas 2012

Joey and Elizabeth

Joey and Elizabeth

Nina June 2013

Nina June 2013

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

AH THE SMELL OF HOT PEANUTS


Good Day Speakies and to Skip:

Well Skip today we go back in time and than come back to the present and talking nuts. I’ll leave the crazies alone for now and pick on them some other day. So now let JoeyZ take you back to the late 1950’s and early 60’s to downtown Trenton, NJ.

I remember going with Mom in the late 1950’s downtown to do our Christmas shopping, Trenton was a busy town. All the stores were open late and the streets filled with the usual hustle and bustle of Christmas shoppers. The cold wind blowing, the smell of hot dogs cooking inside the 5 & 10 cent stores but the most wonderful smell came from the Planter’s Peanut Store located on Broad Street near State Street. The aroma of the peanuts filled the air and the steam coming from the side walk grates made the craving even greater for a bag of hot peanuts. Mom never disappointed me we always shared a bag of hot cashews and of course being a Mom, I always wound up with the most to eat. I can picture it in my mind as if it occurred last week but that was over 50 years ago. Even in the 60’s taking the bus to granny’s house and waiting for it on Broad Street; I had to stop in the Mr. Peanut Store as I called it and purchase a bag of hot cashews. So there are my memories of nuts and now let’s list the nuts we love to eat.

I don’t eat very many nuts these days but my favorites are: whole cashews, pistachios already shelled don’t need the breaking open stuff, regular peanuts and being down South I acquired a taste for hot boiled peanuts. It must be because I come from the Southern part of Jersey Y’all. I love those Christmas nuts that we had as kids in a bowl, the walnuts, Brazil nuts, filberts, almonds and pecans. I’m not crazy for honey roasted nuts of any kind. So there you go Skip my thoughts and memories of nuts. I want to hear from my Speakies send your comments in; it’s easy and doesn’t hurt any. Have a great day.

No comments: