St. Augustine, Florida

St. Augustine, Florida
May 24, 2013

Luee

Luee
We adopted Luee from the Humane Society in 1996. He was 2 years old, but still a pup. He has slowed down a bit; his age is catching up to him. He is the best dog anyone could ever have. Luee had to be put to sleep on April 15, 2009. Rest in Peace Pup.

Christmas Eve 2012

Christmas Eve 2012

NINA HULA 7/28/2012

NINA HULA 7/28/2012

Jeff, Sam, Nina and Ian

Jeff, Sam, Nina and Ian
Ian's Graduation from Kindergarten

Luck Be A Lady

Luck Be A Lady

Little GQ 12/12

Little GQ 12/12

Christmas 2012

Christmas 2012

Joey and Elizabeth

Joey and Elizabeth

Nina June 2013

Nina June 2013

Friday, December 23, 2011

THANK YOU GRANDPOP AND GRANDMOM




Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia!

Guys and Dolls wishing you a “Merry Christmas” in Polish. I told you last week I wanted to write about how Polish people celebrate the beloved holiday and as I remember it growing up both at my grandparent’s and my parent’s homes. Among the Polish people the most beloved of traditional festivities is that which takes place on Christmas Eve. On Christmas Eve the dinner or Wigilia is served. This was the favorite part of Christmas for my grandfather; he spent all day preparing the set up while my grandmother did all the cooking and last minute baking. A large foldup table was placed in the dining room and covered with a white table cloth in memory of the Christ child in the manger. In Poland a thin layer of hay is also placed under the table cloth in memory of him. I can still remember the smells coming from the kitchen and my grandfather waiting for 5:30 p.m. to come for all the family to arrive. I was off from school and usually stayed there because my parents worked and I helped as much as I could with the set up without getting in the way.

I still see my grandfather dressed to a tee, he always wore neat slacks, a nice shirt and tie and a vested sweater, I’d call gramps a dapper gentleman, which he truly was along with being a kind and gentle man, I really loved him and my grandmother. I’m sorry Roe and my sons never met him he died of a heart attack when I was in the 8th grade. Grandma hurried and changed to a better dress other than the house dress she wore cooking all day and finally they both sat down for a brief rest (probably five minutes).

The family finally arrived Mom and Dad and my Uncle Ed and Aunt Louise. My mom had a brother who died and another who was a real loner and finally disappeared off the face of the earth. They both were remembered fondly by everyone at Christmas Eve with a prayer. The presents were placed under the tree and the family gathered around the table or sneaked into the kitchen to see what was cooking. Finally the food was placed on that big table but before sitting down everyone broke the traditional wafer or Oplatek and exchanged good wishes for health, wealth and happiness in the New Year. The Oplatek is a thin wafer similar to Catholic Holy Communion with stamped figures of Jesus, the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Holy Angels. In Poland according to myth in no case must there be an odd number of guests at the table, otherwise it is said that some of the guests would not live to see another Christmas. Personally we never believed in that one.

At that time the Christmas Eve meal was strictly meatless. The menu usually would include a soup, my grandfather had to have beet soup instead of mushroom, but granny made them both to please everyone. We had sledzie (pickled herring), fried fish usually flounder or cod, pierogi, kapusta (cabbage) and grandma made her famous French fries instead of boiled potatoes. For dessert there was babka, cookies, candies and nuts. All this was topped off with coffee, hot tea and blackberry brandy and rockin rye. After dinner the dishes were washed and I waited to open my presents from Grandpa and Grandma and my Uncle and Aunt.

The topper for my grandfather was attending Midnight Mass or as it is called in Polish Pasterka, which means the Shepherds Watch. The church was beautifully decorated as it was a Polish parish with hundreds of Poinsettias. Listening to the Polish Carols or koledy sung by the choir was beautiful to listen to and when mass started all the lights were turned off and candles held by everyone while more songs and a brief procession occurred before mass.

When my grandfather passed away, my mom carried on the tradition of Christmas Eve dinner at our house, the meal basically the same but some of the spirit lost without grandpa being there, but yet enjoyed and shared with those you love.

Christmas Day for me was spent at home playing with all my new stuff and if any of the relatives wanted to come over they could, I was not moving, this was my day. I hoped you enjoyed reading about a Polish Christmas Eve and later this week I’ll tell you about how Roe and I spent our Christmas Day.

No comments: